12 things: tagged
The "11 random things" tagging posts have gone crazy. I was tagged 3 times in the first few days of this month, so I'm playing along, sort of. The "rules" are to initially post 11 random things about yourself. I did enough of that last year with my 11 things series. You can go back and read any of those for some very random things about me. Now that I'm doing "12 things" this year, I thought I'd pick a few questions from each person who initially tagged me for this month's 12 things.
From Marathon Brian 1. Which historical figure would you like to have a 2-hour dinner with? For no particular reason, Ronald Reagan.
2. Gatorade or Powerade? Gatorade, although I've gone down the Powerade route before. Post-race, though, I don't care.
3. Would you rather be taller or smarter? If I could keep my current intelligence level, I'd tack on a couple of inches. Perhaps it could have done something for my basketball career.
4. What’s your favorite post-race celebration food? Food? Who needs food when you can drink beer.
From Wild Things Run Free 5. What is your favorite restaurant? When my wife and I first started dating we found this small place in Lynchburg called the Phil-a-Deli. There's really nothing special about it other than the owners got to know us from our frequent visits and their good reubens. These days, we only go there a few times a year simply because it's not as convenient as it once was.
6. If you could go to any one place in the world for a week, all expenses paid where would it be & why? I'd go back to London. I spent a few weeks there in college in the summer of 1999 and greatly appreciated the time there. I think now in my mid-30s I would appreciate it even more. And drink better beer.
7. What is your all time favorite movie? Forrest Gump. And that was true before I was a runner.
8. What is one of your favorite memories? I wish this question was a little more specific, because I have a great memory of various things in my life. Personally, and more recently, the birth of my son is one of those moments that stands out beyond anything else happening in my life.
From Michael Runner 9. If you could be the best in the world at any sport, which sport would you choose and why? Tennis — it's physically and mentally challenging, plus there's a competitive factor that to me is dual. You're not only competing with the person across the court from you, you're also always competing against yourself for personal best performances.
10. Athletically speaking, if you won the lottery, what’s the first thing you would do/buy? I'd hire a professional personal trainer. Having been a part of training groups before, I would love to have a trainer to spend hours with every week to not only make me a better runner, but to also learn what it takes to become a personal trainer.
11. What is your favorite blog post that you have written? My post after my first marathon in 2007. To this day, I still read it every few months to remind myself that no matter where I stand — whether a high point or a low point — that I can do whatever I set my mind to. It was very important to me last year to have that post as I approached marathon No. 3 healthy with thoughts of marathon No. 2 on my mind.
12. If any liquid on earth could be the ultimate recovery drink, what would you want it to be? Magic Hat No. 9.