It's been a while since a "things" post, but I have a few things brewing on my mind about a variety of things with running ...
1. This Saturday will mark the final time I run the Blue Ridge Half for a while. I won't say "ever," but in the past few weeks I've realized more and more how I can't get my mind and body focused on this race. "A while" just means at least a one-year break.
2. Shamrock Half 2016 ... I have to do it. And I have to rediscover what's worked for my best experiences in the past. I'm determined to set a PR at this race again before I'm 40. (Which is one of the reasons Blue Ridge is not going to be a focus of mine next year.)
3. It's been a long time since I've had a true "aha moment" while running, but this week I did. I haven't lifted weights since February. I started the year off well doing a push-ups challenge with a friend and carried some momentum into the next month, but I've really slacked in the past 2 months. If I don't get my upper body and core strength back, it's going to be a long year. So last week I lifted weights twice ... and I was really sore.
4. I did a track workout recently for the first time in nearly a year. Surprisingly I wasn't as slow as I thought I would be, but it was much tougher than I was expecting.
5. If I can do #3 and #4 above much more often, then #2 should happen.
6. All of these things combine mean that I probably won't run a marathon this fall after being so excited about the idea a few months ago. Things change, and I'll offer no other thoughts than that.