An OK race, but a good run

This may be the least that I have to say about an actual race, but for the time I was running there's really not much to say. I finished today's Sweetheart 8k in 40:01, just a tad more than 8 minutes a mile. Like last year, the initial half-mile uphill was the make-or-break point for this race. I handled it OK, getting the first mile in at 8:17. The next mile was mostly downhill and I was rolling along at just over 7 minutes. The rest of the race was up and down, as were my times. In the end though, I felt good about what I had done despite not breaking last year's time. For me, this was a test of my race shape. I'll give myself a B-minus. I feel good about what I can do in the next five weeks to have a good half marathon. A PR may be out of reach at this point, but it may set me up for a good rest of the year. On the flip side of things, I'm not trying to use this an excuse for running slower than I wanted, but the temperature at race start was about 30 degrees. It felt flippin' cold after near-record highs earlier this week. It was nearly a 30-degree swing in temperatures from running outside last week. Another issue that I couldn't control was the start of the race -- it started 10 minutes late. WTF?? I have NEVER started a race that late ... two, maybe three minutes, but 10 minutes? After warming up, I was ready to go ... not stand around and wait for the thing to start.

I hate to talk bad about the local running club's races, but this isn't the first somewhat unorganized event I've attended. On top of the late start, there were only two portapotties for more than 300 finishers - fortunately I didn't have to pee, but ... and there was a long line for water and the usual after-race treats -- something I had not seen before at a community race. Usually water is pretty accessible, but not today for some reason.

All in all, though, today was a very good day. I got in some speedwork, but I wasn't as fast as I'd like. I ended up getting in 6.3 miles total today and after another run tomorrow, I'll have more than 20 miles for the week. After taking off time from thinking about racing for a while and resting up my body, I think I kind of expected today's results. I hit the reset button on my own with running, and it's up to me to stay focused and get back to where I was a couple of years ago. It will be done ...

(Funny thing... after writing all this I just went back and read last year's post about this race. Eerily similar, including my use of bold and italics, minus the race complaints. Click here to check it out.)