In the final two days of this month I stopped comparing myself to myself. (Cue DMB’s “Rhyme & Reason” and the “My head won’t leave my head alone” lyrics.)
You see, along this journey of intentional cutting back, I started to feel bad because I wasn’t having my normal summer of 100-mile months. Running less was part of the summer plan a long time ago, but I never expected it to feel like it has.
At the beginning of the month I set some simple goals. Turns out, they weren’t so simple. I didn’t lose weight (in fact I gained a pound) and I came no where close to running 80 miles (56.8 is my lowest in the summer since 2003 when I ran 0). I did, however, beat my 30-mile goal for my bike, getting in 32.7 miles.
The way I’ve closed the month out – all but 4.6 of those biking miles were in the second half of July – has me feeling good about August. And when it comes to my love of running, I actually feel excited about getting back to higher mileage. Hitting a low in the summer is what I needed. It was just a hell of a process that I’m still getting over.
Those 13 goals ...
This is sort of a June and July check-up since I didn’t touch the subject a month ago.
1. 5k PR – official or unofficial I'm slow right now. Sure my 5K on July 4 wasn't bad, but I'm slow for my standards. This simply isn't realistic anytime soon.
2. Run at least 2 races I’ve never done before Done, sort of.
3. Run a 5k – official or unofficial – with my friend Brandon We've discussed it. Getting there.
4. 50 consecutive push-ups Through various things falling apart, I'm still getting occasional push-up workouts in. Nowhere close to 50 year.
5. Ride at least 200 miles See above on some progress for July. I'm at 104 for the year. Time to catch up in August.
6. Weigh in at less than 180 Call me Caption of Bad News this month.
7. Do a plank at least once a week Or not. Even if it's a sorry 30 second plank, this is still happening.
8. Run a race without a watch Done!
9. Run with my sister Heather Done!
10. Do an exercise at least once per month that I haven’t done the rest of the year Let's count jumping jacks in June; in July I carried my dumbbells from my side porch up my steps. That counts for me in this crazy month.
11. Eat at least one salad per week Doing well with this.
12. Limit myself to one soft drink a month I had a set-back in June with an extra day on my birthday. Exception, right? July I had a Coke at my in-laws. No cravings since.
13. Run ON the beach It’s coming …